High Performance Engine Mechanic
Types of Degrees High Performance Engine Mechanic Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What High Performance Engine Mechanic Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for High Performance and Custom Engine Technician/Mechanic Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Skills for High Performance and Custom Engine Technician/Mechanic Majors
When studying high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Abilities for High Performance and Custom Engine Technician/Mechanic Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic student include the following:
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness - The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
What Can You Do With a High Performance Engine Mechanic Major?
People with a high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Automotive Master Mechanics||6.1%||$40,710|
|Automotive Specialty Technicians||6.1%||$40,710|
|First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers||7.1%||$66,140|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in High Performance Engine Mechanic?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||3|
|Hispanic or Latino||12|
Students from other countries are interested in High Performance and Custom Engine Technician/Mechanic, too. About 0.4% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do High Performance Engine Mechanic Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
High Performance and Custom Engine Technician/Mechanic majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $43,730 to $69,320 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to High Performance Engine Mechanic
Some careers associated with high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||4.4%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||34.3%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||39.8%|
|Some College Courses||7.8%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||9.0%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.3%|
Online High Performance Engine Mechanic Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 16 schools offered some type of high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||12||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in High Performance Engine Mechanic Worth It?
The median salary for a high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic grad is $43,730 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 10% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $76,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to High Performance Engine Mechanic
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to high performance and custom engine technician/mechanic.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Airman 1st Class Nigel Sandridge under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|