General Mechanics & Repairers
Types of Degrees General Mechanics & Repairers Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many general mechanics and repairers graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Mechanics & Repairers Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to general mechanics and repairers were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for General Mechanics & Repairers Majors
General Mechanics and Repairers majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for General Mechanics & Repairers Majors
A major in general mechanics and repairers prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in General Mechanics & Repairers?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of general mechanics and repairers majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||12|
|Hispanic or Latino||11|
Online General Mechanics & Repairers Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 22 schools offered some type of general mechanics and repairers program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||8||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Alfred Palmer under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|