General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair
Types of Degrees General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many general vehicle maintenance and repair technologies graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, general vehicle repair majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for General Vehicle Repair Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in general vehicle repair should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
Skills for General Vehicle Repair Majors
A major in general vehicle repair prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Abilities for General Vehicle Repair Majors
As you progress with your general vehicle repair degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
What Can You Do With a General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Major?
People with a general vehicle repair degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Automotive Master Mechanics||6.1%||$40,710|
|First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers||7.1%||$66,140|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of general vehicle repair majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||3|
|Hispanic or Latino||1|
How Much Do General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
General Vehicle Repair majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $43,730 to $69,320 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair
Some careers associated with general vehicle repair require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to general vehicle repair have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||0.1%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||37.0%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||36.2%|
|Some College Courses||10.3%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||10.3%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.4%|
Online General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Programs
In 2018-2019, 26 schools offered a general vehicle repair program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||16||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||11||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Worth It?
The median salary for a general vehicle repair grad is $43,730 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 10% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $76,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
Trades Related to General Vehicle Maintenance & Repair
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to general vehicle repair.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Airman 1st Class Nigel Sandridge under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|