Motorcycle Maintenance Technology
Types of Degrees Motorcycle Maintenance Technology Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Motorcycle Maintenance Technology Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills for Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician Majors
A major in motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician Majors
As you progress with your motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Hearing Sensitivity - The ability to detect or tell the differences between sounds that vary in pitch and loudness.
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Motorcycle Maintenance Technology Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Motorcycle Maintenance Technology?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||3|
|Hispanic or Latino||3|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician. About 1.8% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Motorcycle Maintenance Technology Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician majors often go into careers with median salaries of $39,260. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Motorcycle Maintenance Technology
Some degrees associated with motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||12.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||82.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||5.3%|
Online Motorcycle Maintenance Technology Programs
In 2018-2019, 40 schools offered a motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||16||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||28||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||4||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Motorcycle Maintenance Technology Worth It?
The median salary for a motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician grad is $39,260 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
Explore Major by State
Trades Related to Motorcycle Maintenance Technology
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to motorcycle maintenance and repair technology/technician.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Airman 1st Class Nigel Sandridge under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|