Mechanics & Repairers
Types of Degrees Mechanics & Repairers Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many mechanics and repairers graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Mechanics & Repairers Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to mechanical repair and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Mechanical Repair Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Mechanical Repair Majors
When studying mechanical repair, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Mechanics & Repairers?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of mechanical repair majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||11|
|Hispanic or Latino||9|
Online Mechanics & Repairers Programs
In 2018-2019, 25 schools offered a mechanical repair program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||5||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||9||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Top Ranking Lists for Mechanics & Repairers
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Mechanics & Repairers
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to mechanical repair.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Vehicle Maintenance & Repair||65,998|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation & Refrigeration||19,885|
|Electronics Maintenance & Repair||9,325|
|Heavy/Industrial Equipment Maintenance||8,889|
|Precision Systems Maintenance||1,816|
|Mechanic & Repair Tech (Other)||1,017|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Alfred Palmer under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|