Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor
Types of Degrees Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many health unit manager/ward supervisor graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to health unit manager/ward supervisor and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Skills for Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Majors
A major in health unit manager/ward supervisor prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Time Management - Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Abilities for Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a health unit manager/ward supervisor student include the following:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of health unit manager/ward supervisor majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||1|
|Hispanic or Latino||0|
How Much Do Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to health unit manager/ward supervisor is $113,730. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor
Some careers associated with health unit manager/ward supervisor require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to health unit manager/ward supervisor have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||19.2%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||3.9%|
Online Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Programs
In 2018-2019, 2 schools offered a health unit manager/ward supervisor program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||1||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor Worth It?
The median salary for a health unit manager/ward supervisor grad is $113,730 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 185% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $1,476,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Health Unit Manager/Ward Supervisor
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to health unit manager/ward supervisor.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|