Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD
Types of Degrees Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD graduations there were in 2020-2021 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Electrical/Electronics Drafting and Electrical/Electronics CAD/CADD Majors
Electrical/Electronics Drafting and Electrical/Electronics CAD/CADD majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Electrical/Electronics Drafting and Electrical/Electronics CAD/CADD Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Abilities for Electrical/Electronics Drafting and Electrical/Electronics CAD/CADD Majors
As a electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD Major?
People with a electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||0|
|Hispanic or Latino||1|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Electrical/Electronics Drafting and Electrical/Electronics CAD/CADD. About 4.8% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD is $64,400. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD
Some degrees associated with electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||11.1%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||32.4%|
|Some College Courses||8.9%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||28.6%|
Online Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD Programs
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 13 schools offered some type of electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||4||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD Worth It?
The median salary for a electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD grad is $64,400 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 61% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $490,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Electrical Drafting & CAD/CADD
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to electrical/electronics drafting and electrical/electronics CAD/CADD.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Pixabay under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|