Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD
Types of Degrees Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
Skills for Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
Abilities for Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD Majors
A major in architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Visualization - The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||40|
|Hispanic or Latino||150|
Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD appeals to people across the globe. About 3.8% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD majors often go into careers with median salaries of $56,700. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD
Some careers associated with architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||0.4%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||0.9%|
|Some College Courses||0.4%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||17.3%|
Online Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD Programs
In 2019-2020, 139 schools offered a architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||59||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||5||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD Worth It?
The median salary for a architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD grad is $56,700 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 42% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $336,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Architectural Drafting & CAD/CADD
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to architectural drafting and architectural CAD/CADD.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Pixabay under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|