Physical Therapy Technician
Types of Degrees Physical Therapy Technician Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many physical therapy assistant graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Physical Therapy Technician Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to physical therapy assistant and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Physical Therapy Assistant Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
Skills for Physical Therapy Assistant Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to physical therapy assistant:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Abilities for Physical Therapy Assistant Majors
Physical Therapy Assistant majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a Physical Therapy Technician Major?
People with a physical therapy assistant degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Physical Therapist Assistants||31.1%||$58,040|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Physical Therapy Technician?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of physical therapy assistant majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||306|
|Hispanic or Latino||809|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Physical Therapy Assistant. About 0.5% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Physical Therapy Technician Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Physical Therapy Assistant majors often go into careers with median salaries of $57,750. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Physical Therapy Technician
Some careers associated with physical therapy assistant require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to physical therapy assistant have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||99.8%|
Online Physical Therapy Technician Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 383 schools offered some type of physical therapy assistant program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||13||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Physical Therapy Technician Worth It?
The median salary for a physical therapy assistant grad is $57,750 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 45% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $357,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Physical Therapy Technician
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to physical therapy assistant.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|