Other Mechanical Engineering
Types of Degrees Other Mechanical Engineering Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many mechanical engineering related technologies/technicians, other graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Other Mechanical Engineering Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, other ME tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Other ME Tech Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills for Other ME Tech Majors
other ME tech majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Abilities for Other ME Tech Majors
As a other ME tech major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
What Can You Do With a Other Mechanical Engineering Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with other ME tech:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Automotive Engineering Technicians||5.0%||$56,250|
|Mechanical Engineering Technicians||5.0%||$56,250|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Other Mechanical Engineering?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of other ME tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||7|
|Hispanic or Latino||10|
Other ME Tech appeals to people across the globe. About 1.9% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Other Mechanical Engineering Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to other ME tech is $58,240. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Other Mechanical Engineering
Some degrees associated with other ME tech may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to other ME tech have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||3.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||18.3%|
|Some College Courses||4.4%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||29.0%|
Online Other Mechanical Engineering Programs
In 2019-2020, 34 schools offered a other ME tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||7||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Other Mechanical Engineering Worth It?
The median salary for a other ME tech grad is $58,240 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 46% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $366,800 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Other Mechanical Engineering
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to other ME tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Mechanical Engineering/Mechanical Technology||3,813|
|Automotive Engineering Technology||1,170|
|Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering Technology||1,052|
|Marine Engineering Technology||58|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|