Types of Degrees Telecommunications Technology Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many telecommunications technology/technician graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Telecommunications Technology Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, telcom tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Telcom Tech Majors
Telcom Tech majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Telcom Tech Majors
telcom tech majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Abilities for Telcom Tech Majors
A major in telcom tech will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
What Can You Do With a Telecommunications Technology Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with telcom tech:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Electrical Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
|Electronics Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Telecommunications Technology?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of telcom tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||12|
|Hispanic or Latino||3|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Telcom Tech. About 0.9% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Telecommunications Technology Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Telcom Tech majors often go into careers with median salaries of $65,050. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Telecommunications Technology
Some degrees associated with telcom tech may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to telcom tech have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||11.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||28.4%|
|Some College Courses||13.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||33.7%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.3%|
Online Telecommunications Technology Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 50 schools offered some type of telecommunications technology/technician program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||14||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||13||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Telecommunications Technology Worth It?
The median salary for a telcom tech grad is $65,050 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 63% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $503,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Telecommunications Technology
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to telcom tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Electrical, Electronic & Communications Engineering Technology/Technician||7,209|
|Other Electrical & Electronic Engineering Technologies/Technicians||1,734|
|Laser & Optical Technology/Technician||165|
|Integrated Circuit Design||0|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|