Other Electrical Engineering
Types of Degrees Other Electrical Engineering Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many other electrical and electronic engineering technologies/technicians graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Other Electrical Engineering Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to other EE tech and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Other EE Tech Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in other EE tech should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Other EE Tech Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to other EE tech:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Abilities for Other EE Tech Majors
Other EE Tech majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
What Can You Do With a Other Electrical Engineering Major?
People with a other EE tech degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Electrical Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
|Electronics Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Other Electrical Engineering?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of other EE tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||27|
|Hispanic or Latino||119|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Other EE Tech. About 1.7% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Other Electrical Engineering Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Other EE Tech majors often go into careers with median salaries of $65,050. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Other Electrical Engineering
Some careers associated with other EE tech require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to other EE tech have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||11.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||28.4%|
|Some College Courses||13.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||33.7%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.3%|
Online Other Electrical Engineering Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 92 schools offered some type of other electrical and electronic engineering technologies/technicians program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||32||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Other Electrical Engineering Worth It?
The median salary for a other EE tech grad is $65,050 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 63% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $503,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Other Electrical Engineering
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to other EE tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Electrical, Electronic & Communications Engineering Technology||6,597|
|Laser & Optical Technology||153|
|Audio Engineering Technology||34|
|Integrated Circuit Design||0|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|