Types of Degrees Robotics Technology Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many robotics technology/technician graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Robotics Technology Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, robotics tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Robotics Tech Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Skills for Robotics Tech Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to robotics tech:
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Abilities for Robotics Tech Majors
Robotics Tech majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Control Precision - The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
What Can You Do With a Robotics Technology Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with robotics tech:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Robotics Technology?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of robotics tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||6|
|Hispanic or Latino||25|
Robotics Tech appeals to people across the globe. About 1.1% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Robotics Technology Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Robotics Tech majors often go into careers with median salaries of $60,240. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Robotics Technology
Some careers associated with robotics tech require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for robotics tech careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||10.9%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||26.4%|
|Some College Courses||7.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||43.1%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||2.2%|
Online Robotics Technology Programs
In 2019-2020, 68 schools offered a robotics tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||19||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Robotics Technology Worth It?
The median salary for a robotics tech grad is $60,240 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 51% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $406,800 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Robotics Technology
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to robotics tech.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|