Computer Hardware Technology
Types of Degrees Computer Hardware Technology Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many computer hardware technology/technician graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Computer Hardware Technology Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, computer hardware tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Computer Hardware Tech Majors
Computer Hardware Tech majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Computer Hardware Tech Majors
A major in computer hardware tech prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for Computer Hardware Tech Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a computer hardware tech student include the following:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Visualization - The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Computer Hardware Technology Major?
People with a computer hardware tech degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Manufacturing Production Technicians||5.2%||$63,200|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Computer Hardware Technology?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of computer hardware tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||0|
|Hispanic or Latino||0|
How Much Do Computer Hardware Technology Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to computer hardware tech is $65,720. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Computer Hardware Technology
Some careers associated with computer hardware tech require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to computer hardware tech have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||26.1%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||26.1%|
|Some College Courses||8.7%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||21.7%|
Online Computer Hardware Technology Programs
In 2019-2020, 8 schools offered a computer hardware tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||4||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Computer Hardware Technology Worth It?
The median salary for a computer hardware tech grad is $65,720 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 65% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $516,400 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Computer Hardware Technology
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to computer hardware tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Computer Technology/Computer Systems Technology||1,985|
|Computer Engineering Technology||1,477|
|Computer Software Technology||194|
|Other Computer Engineering Technologies||118|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By AAAndrey A under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|