Other Electrical & Power
Types of Degrees Other Electrical & Power Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many other electrical and power transmission installers graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Other Electrical & Power Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to other electrical and power transmission installers were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Other Electrical & Power Transmission Installers Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in other electrical and power transmission installers should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
Skills for Other Electrical & Power Transmission Installers Majors
A major in other electrical and power transmission installers prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Abilities for Other Electrical & Power Transmission Installers Majors
As a other electrical and power transmission installers major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness - The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Multilimb Coordination - The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
What Can You Do With a Other Electrical & Power Major?
People with a other electrical and power transmission installers degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers||13.9%||$70,910|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Other Electrical & Power?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of other electrical and power transmission installers majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||1|
|Hispanic or Latino||3|
How Much Do Other Electrical & Power Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Other Electrical and Power Transmission Installers majors often go into careers with median salaries of $70,240. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Other Electrical & Power
Some degrees associated with other electrical and power transmission installers may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for other electrical and power transmission installers careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||0.6%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||39.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||59.1%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||0.6%|
Online Other Electrical & Power Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 23 schools offered some type of other electrical and power transmission installers program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||16||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Other Electrical & Power Worth It?
The median salary for a other electrical and power transmission installers grad is $70,240 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 76% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $606,800 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Other Electrical & Power
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to other electrical and power transmission installers.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Electrical & Power Transmission Installation/Installer||1,737|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Fran Hogan under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|