What Does it Take to Be a Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor?
Career Description Directly supervise and coordinate work activities of cleaning personnel in hotels, hospitals, offices, and other establishments.
List of Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor Job Duties
- Inventory stock to ensure that supplies and equipment are available in adequate amounts.
- Recommend or arrange for additional services, such as painting, repair work, renovations, and the replacement of furnishings and equipment.
- Screen job applicants, and hire new employees.
- Select the most suitable cleaning materials for different types of linens, furniture, flooring, and surfaces.
- Coordinate activities with other departments to ensure that services are provided in an efficient and timely manner.
- Instruct staff in work policies and procedures, and the use and maintenance of equipment.
What a Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor Should Know
These are the skills Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors say are the most useful in their careers:
Management of Personnel Resources: Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Time Management: Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Other Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor Job Titles
- Hotel or Motel Room Service Supervisor
- Maintenance Superintendent
- Environmental Services Director
- Maintenance Manager
- Buildings and Grounds Coordinator
Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor Employment Estimates
There were about 243,500 jobs for Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.9% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 24,100 new jobs for Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor by 2026. The BLS estimates 30,800 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor are Utah, Washington, and Florida. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Wyoming, or Connecticut. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor
The salary for Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors ranges between about $25,450 and $65,320 a year.
Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors who work in New York, Connecticut, or North Dakota, make the highest salaries.
How much do Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$43,200|
What Tools & Technology do Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Email software
- Microsoft Project
- Inventory tracking software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS
- Help desk software
- Computerized bed control system software
How do I Become a Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor?
What education or degrees do I need to become a Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors Are Employed
Below are examples of industries where Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisors work:
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Those who work as a Housekeeping and Janitor Supervisor sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|