What is a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator?
Career Description Laminate layers of fiberglass on molds to form boat decks and hulls, bodies for golf carts, automobiles, or other products.
List of Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator Job Duties
- Bond wood reinforcing strips to decks and cabin structures of watercraft, using resin-saturated fiberglass.
- Repair or modify damaged or defective glass-fiber parts, checking thicknesses, densities, and contours to ensure a close fit after repair.
- Check completed products for conformance to specifications and for defects by measuring with rulers or micrometers, by checking them visually, or by tapping them to detect bubbles or dead spots.
- Pat or press layers of saturated mat or cloth into place on molds, using brushes or hands, and smooth out wrinkles and air bubbles with hands or squeegees.
- Trim excess materials from molds, using hand shears or trimming knives.
- Cure materials by letting them set at room temperature, placing them under heat lamps, or baking them in ovens.
Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator Skills
Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Types of Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator
- Fiberglass Boat Finisher
- Fiberglass Laminator
- Boat Carpenter
- Golf Cart Assembler
Job Opportunities for Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 19,700 jobs in the United States for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator. There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 2,200 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator are Utah, Alabama, and Rhode Island. Watch out if you plan on working in Virginia, Maine, or Washington. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator Salary
Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators make between $23,590 and $49,900 a year.
Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators who work in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
How much do Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools & Technology do Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Data entry software
- Word processing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
How to Become a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator
Individuals working as a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator have obtained the following education levels:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator?
Where Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators Are Employed
Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators work in the following industries:
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those thinking about becoming a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator might also be interested in the following careers:
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Are you already one of the many Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|