Life As a Segmental Paver
Segmental Paver Definition Lay out, cut, and place segmental paving units. Includes installers of bedding and restraining materials for the paving units.
Segmental Paver Responsibilities
- Compact bedding sand and pavers to finish the paved area, using a plate compactor.
- Prepare base for installation by removing unstable or unsuitable materials, compacting and grading the soil, draining or stabilizing weak or saturated soils and taking measures to prevent water penetration and migration of bedding sand.
- Cement the edges of the paved area.
- Screed sand level to an even thickness, and recheck sand exposed to elements, raking and rescreeding if necessary.
- Set pavers, aligning and spacing them correctly.
- Sweep sand into the joints and compact pavement until the joints are full.
What a Segmental Paver Should Know
Below is a list of the skills most Segmental Pavers say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Other Segmental Paver Job Titles
- Segmental Paver
- Paver Operator
- Concrete Pavement Installer
- Concrete Paver
- Asphalt Paving Superintendent
Segmental Paver Employment Estimates
In the United States, there were 2,100 jobs for Segmental Paver in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 14.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 300 new jobs for Segmental Paver by 2026. The BLS estimates 300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Segmental Paver are Florida and Texas. Watch out if you plan on working in Texas or Florida. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Tools & Technologies Used by Segmental Pavers
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Segmental Pavers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
How do I Become a Segmental Paver?
What education is needed to be a Segmental Paver?
What work experience do I need to become a Segmental Paver?
Those thinking about becoming a Segmental Paver might also be interested in the following careers:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|