All About Advertising Sales Agents
Career Description Sell or solicit advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or the Internet. Includes individuals who obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailers to use sales promotion display items.
What Do Advertising Sales Agents Do On a Daily Basis?
- Identify new advertising markets and propose products to serve them.
- Provide clients with estimates of the costs of advertising products or services.
- Recommend appropriate sizes and formats for advertising, depending on medium being used.
- Gather all relevant material for bid processes and coordinate bidding and contract approval.
- Process all correspondence and paperwork related to accounts.
- Obtain and study information about clients' products, needs, problems, advertising history, and business practices to offer effective sales presentations and appropriate product assistance.
Advertising Sales Agent Skills
These are the skills Advertising Sales Agents say are the most useful in their careers:
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Negotiation: Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Related Job Titles
- Contracts Specialist
- Yellow Pages Space Salesperson
- Advertising Account Executive
- Contact Person
- Accounts Executive
Job Opportunities for Advertising Sales Agents
There were about 149,900 jobs for Advertising Sales Agent in 2016 (in the United States). There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Advertising Sales Agent. There will be an estimated 17,700 positions for Advertising Sales Agent per year.
The states with the most job growth for Advertising Sales Agent are Washington, Tennessee, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Wisconsin, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does an Advertising Sales Agent Make?
Advertising Sales Agents make between $24,670 and $114,810 a year.
Advertising Sales Agents who work in New Jersey, Connecticut, or New York, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Advertising Sales Agents in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$77,870|
Tools & Technologies Used by Advertising Sales Agents
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Advertising Sales Agents:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft Publisher
- FileMaker Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Salesforce software
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Google AdWords
- Contact management software
How do I Become an Advertising Sales Agent?
Learn what Advertising Sales Agent education requirements there are.
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Advertising Sales Agents Work
Below are examples of industries where Advertising Sales Agents work:
Those thinking about becoming an Advertising Sales Agent might also be interested in the following careers:
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
Are you already one of the many Advertising Sales Agent in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
Image Credit: Nick Nijhuis via Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|