Types of Degrees Massage Therapy Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many massage therapy/therapeutic massage graduations there were in 2020-2021 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Massage Therapy Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to massage therapy/therapeutic massage were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Skills for Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage Majors
A major in massage therapy/therapeutic massage prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage Majors
As you progress with your massage therapy/therapeutic massage degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Massage Therapy Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with massage therapy/therapeutic massage:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting an Associate’s Degree in Massage Therapy?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of massage therapy/therapeutic massage majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||74|
|Hispanic or Latino||127|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage. About 2.2% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Massage Therapy Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $45,880 to $122,320 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Massage Therapy
Some degrees associated with massage therapy/therapeutic massage may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for massage therapy/therapeutic massage careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||2.0%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||12.0%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||35.2%|
|Some College Courses||6.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||5.9%|
Online Massage Therapy Programs
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 493 schools offered some type of massage therapy/therapeutic massage program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||204||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Massage Therapy Worth It?
The median salary for a massage therapy/therapeutic massage grad is $45,880 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 15% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $119,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Trades Related to Massage Therapy
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to massage therapy/therapeutic massage.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Asian Bodywork Therapy||115|
|Other Somatic Bodywork and Related Therapeutic Services||2|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|