All About Photonics Technicians
Position Description Build, install, test, or maintain optical or fiber optic equipment, such as lasers, lenses, or mirrors, using spectrometers, interferometers, or related equipment.
Photonics Technician Responsibilities
- Set up or operate prototype or test apparatus, such as control consoles, collimators, recording equipment, or cables.
- Perform laser seam welding, heat treatment, or hard facing operations.
- Recommend optical or optic equipment design or material changes to reduce costs or processing times.
- Monitor mechanical factors, such as turbine load or strain information.
- Assemble components of energy-efficient optical communications systems involving photonic switches, optical backplanes, or optoelectronic interfaces.
- Maintain clean working environments, according to clean room standards.
What Every Photonics Technician Should Know
Below is a list of the skills most Photonics Technicians say are important on the job.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Quality Control Analysis: Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Types of Photonics Technician Jobs
- Laser/Electro-Optics Technician (LEOT)
- Optics Manufacturing Technician
- Photonics Technician
- Precision Optics Technician
- Optoelectronic Technician
Photonics Technician Job Outlook
There were about 76,800 jobs for Photonics Technician in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,000 new jobs for Photonics Technician by 2026. There will be an estimated 7,100 positions for Photonics Technician per year.
The states with the most job growth for Photonics Technician are Utah, Nevada, and Connecticut. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, West Virginia, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Photonics Technician Average Salary
The average yearly salary of a Photonics Technician ranges between $36,120 and $98,720.
Photonics Technicians who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Maine, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Photonics Technicians in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$92,600|
Tools & Technologies Used by Photonics Technicians
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Photonics Technicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Database software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Presentation software
- Data acquisition software
- Statistical analysis software
- Image processing software
How do I Become a Photonics Technician?
What education or degrees do I need to become a Photonics Technician?
What work experience do I need to become a Photonics Technician?
Where Photonics Technicians Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|