Life As an Orderly
Orderly Example Transport patients to areas such as operating rooms or x-ray rooms using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds. May maintain stocks of supplies or clean and transport equipment.
Life As an Orderly: What Do They Do?
- Stock utility rooms, nonmedical storage rooms, or cleaning carts with supplies.
- Lift or assist others to lift patients to move them on or off beds, examination tables, surgical tables, or stretchers.
- Carry messages or documents between departments.
- Clean equipment, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, or portable medical equipment, documenting needed repairs or maintenance.
- Respond to emergency situations, such as emergency medical calls, security calls, or fire alarms.
- Transport patients to treatment units, testing units, operating rooms, or other areas, using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds.
Skills Needed to be an Orderly
Orderlies state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Types of Orderly Jobs
- Patient Care Technician (PCT)
- Ward Attendant
- Ward Aide
- Hospital Orderly
- Ward Assistant
Job Demand for Orderlies
In the United States, there were 54,000 jobs for Orderly in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.1% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,400 new jobs for Orderly by 2026. There will be an estimated 6,700 positions for Orderly per year.
The states with the most job growth for Orderly are Colorado, Idaho, and Montana. Watch out if you plan on working in Illinois, Connecticut, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Orderlies Salary
Orderlies make between $21,010 and $41,460 a year.
Orderlies who work in Hawaii, Minnesota, or Alaska, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Orderlies in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$32,190|
What Tools & Technology do Orderlies Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Orderlies may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Windows
- Electronic medical record EMR software
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Medical record charting software
How to Become an Orderly
Are there Orderlies education requirements?
How Long Does it Take to Become an Orderly?
Where Orderlies Work
Below are examples of industries where Orderlies work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|