What Does it Take to Be a Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician Example Perform routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. May work under the supervision of a medical technologist.
Life As a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician: What Do They Do?
- Consult with a pathologist to determine a final diagnosis when abnormal cells are found.
- Test raw materials, processes, or finished products to determine quality or quantity of materials or characteristics of a substance.
- Analyze and record test data to issue reports that use charts, graphs, or narratives.
- Perform medical research to further control or cure disease.
- Analyze the results of tests or experiments to ensure conformity to specifications, using special mechanical or electrical devices.
- Examine cells stained with dye to locate abnormalities.
Things a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician Should Know How to Do
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Science: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Types of Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Technician (Clinical Lab Technician)
- Medical Laboratory Technicians (Medical Lab Technician)
- Histopathology Technician
- Certified Dialysis Technician
- Certified Clinical Laboratory Technician
Job Opportunities for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
There were about 164,200 jobs for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 14% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 23,000 new jobs for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 12,900 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician are Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Connecticut, or Mississippi. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What Tools do Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Email software
- Word processing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Database software
- IBM Notes
- Google Docs
- FileMaker Pro
- MEDITECH software
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Electronic medical record EMR software
- Billing software
- Laboratory information system LIS
- Medical software
- Microscopic image capturing software
Becoming a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician
What kind of Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician requirements are there?
How many years of work experience do I need?
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those who work as a Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Biological Technicians
- Endoscopy Technicians
- Cytogenetic Technologists
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|