What Do Insurance Sales Agent Do?
Insurance Sales Agent Job Description Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
List of Insurance Sales Agent Job Duties
- Confer with clients to obtain and provide information when claims are made on a policy.
- Install bookkeeping systems and resolve system problems.
- Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance, or specialized policies, such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Calculate premiums and establish payment method.
- Interview prospective clients to obtain data about their financial resources and needs, the physical condition of the person or property to be insured, and to discuss any existing coverage.
- Inspect property, examining its general condition, type of construction, age, and other characteristics, to decide if it is a good insurance risk.
What an Insurance Sales Agent Should Know
When polled, Insurance Sales Agents say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Other Insurance Sales Agent Job Titles
- Group Insurance Special Agent
- Insurance Salesperson
- Account Specialist
- Insurance Representative
- Field Representative
Are There Job Opportunities for Insurance Sales Agents?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 501,400 jobs in the United States for Insurance Sales Agent. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.9% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 49,800 new jobs for Insurance Sales Agent by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 54,700 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Insurance Sales Agent are Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Vermont, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does an Insurance Sales Agent Make?
Insurance Sales Agents make between $27,500 and $125,610 a year.
Insurance Sales Agents who work in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, or Connecticut, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Insurance Sales Agents in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$74,990|
What Tools & Technology do Insurance Sales Agents Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Insurance Sales Agents may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Windows
- Spreadsheet software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Scheduling software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Apple Final Cut Pro
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Adobe Systems Adobe AfterEffects
- Applied Systems Vision
- Insurance rating software
How to Become an Insurance Sales Agent
Individuals working as an Insurance Sales Agent have obtained the following education levels:
How Long Does it Take to Become an Insurance Sales Agent?
Where Insurance Sales Agents Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those thinking about becoming an Insurance Sales Agent might also be interested in the following careers:
- Gaming Managers
- Sales Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
- Supply Chain Managers
Are you already one of the many Insurance Sales Agent in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
Image Credit: Nick Youngson via Creative Commons 3 - CC BY-SA 3.0
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|