What Do Film and Video Editor Do?
Example of Film and Video Editor Job Edit moving images on film, video, or other media. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images.
Life As a Film and Video Editor: What Do They Do?
- Determine the specific audio and visual effects and music necessary to complete films.
- Verify key numbers and time codes on materials.
- Select and combine the most effective shots of each scene to form a logical and smoothly running story.
- Program computerized graphic effects.
- Discuss the sound requirements of pictures with sound effects editors.
- Collaborate with music editors to select appropriate passages of music and develop production scores.
Qualities of a Film and Video Editor
Film and Video Editors state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Time Management: Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Other Film and Video Editor Job Titles
- Associate Producer
- Television News Video Editor
- Production Manager
Is There Going to be Demand for Film and Video Editors?
There were about 34,200 jobs for Film and Video Editor in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 17% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5,800 new jobs for Film and Video Editor by 2026. The BLS estimates 4,000 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Film and Video Editor are Utah, Georgia, and North Dakota. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Wisconsin, or Missouri. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Film and Video Editor
The average yearly salary of a Film and Video Editor ranges between $31,940 and $170,040.
Film and Video Editors who work in New Jersey, New York, or California, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Film and Video Editors in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$69,410|
What Tools do Film and Video Editors Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Film and Video Editors may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible markup language XML
- Apple Final Cut Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud
- Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Suite
- Adobe Systems Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Systems Adobe AfterEffects
- Adobe Systems Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Systems Adobe Director
- Apple QuickTime
How to Become a Film and Video Editor
Learn what Film and Video Editor education requirements there are.
What work experience do I need to become a Film and Video Editor?
Where Film and Video Editors Are Employed
The table below shows the approximate number of Film and Video Editors employed by various industries.
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those interested in being a Film and Video Editor may also be interested in:
Those who work as a Film and Video Editor sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|