What You Need to Know About Electronic Drafter
Job Description & Duties Draw wiring diagrams, circuit board assembly diagrams, schematics, and layout drawings used for manufacture, installation, and repair of electronic equipment.
Life As an Electronic Drafter: What Do They Do?
- Review work orders or procedural manuals and confer with vendors or design staff to resolve problems or modify design.
- Generate computer tapes of final layout design to produce layered photo masks or photo plotting design onto film.
- Select drill size to drill test head, according to test design and specifications, and submit guide layout to designated department.
- Compare logic element configuration on display screen with engineering schematics and calculate figures to convert, redesign, or modify element.
- Consult with engineers to discuss or interpret design concepts, or determine requirements of detailed working drawings.
- Draft detail and assembly drawings of design components, circuitry or printed circuit boards, using computer-assisted equipment or standard drafting techniques and devices.
Electronic Drafter Needed Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Electronic Drafters say are important on the job.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Related Job Titles
- Test Fixture Designer
- Design Drafter
- CAD Designer (Computer Aided Design Designer)
- Electromechanisms Design Drafter
- Analog Design Engineer
Job Outlook for Electronic Drafters
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 27,400 jobs in the United States for Electronic Drafter. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.9% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 1,900 new jobs for Electronic Drafter by 2026. There will be an estimated 2,600 positions for Electronic Drafter per year.
The states with the most job growth for Electronic Drafter are Nevada, Colorado, and Vermont. Watch out if you plan on working in Washington, Wyoming, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Electronic Drafters Make A Lot Of Money?
The salary for Electronic Drafters ranges between about $36,660 and $99,240 a year.
Electronic Drafters who work in District of Columbia, Washington, or Vermont, make the highest salaries.
How much do Electronic Drafters make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$87,870|
What Tools do Electronic Drafters Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Electronic Drafters may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- PTC Creo Parametric
- IBM Lotus Notes
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- 1CadCam Unigraphics
- Cadence PSpice
- UGS Solid Edge
- Sage ERP Accpac
- SofTech CADRA
- Mentor Graphics PADS
- Manufacturing resource planning MRP software
- PTC Pro/INTRALINK
How do I Become an Electronic Drafter?
Education needed to be an Electronic Drafter:
What work experience do I need to become an Electronic Drafter?
Who Employs Electronic Drafters?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|