What is a Commercial Pilot?
Commercial Pilot Job Description Pilot and navigate the flight of fixed-winged aircraft on nonscheduled air carrier routes, or helicopters. Requires Commercial Pilot certificate. Includes charter pilots with similar certification, and air ambulance and air tour pilots.
What Do Commercial Pilots Do On a Daily Basis?
- Perform minor aircraft maintenance and repair work, or arrange for major maintenance.
- Pilot airplanes or helicopters over farmlands at low altitudes to dust or spray fields with fertilizers, fungicides, or pesticides.
- Coordinate flight activities with ground crews and air traffic control, and inform crew members of flight and test procedures.
- Rescue and evacuate injured persons.
- Instruct other pilots and student pilots in aircraft operations.
- File instrument flight plans with air traffic control so that flights can be coordinated with other air traffic.
What Skills Do You Need to Work as a Commercial Pilot?
Below is a list of the skills most Commercial Pilots say are important on the job.
Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Types of Commercial Pilot Jobs
- Charter Pilot
- Commercial Helicopter Pilot
- Check Airman
- Line Pilot
Commercial Pilot Job Outlook
There were about 40,800 jobs for Commercial Pilot in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 3.7% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 1,500 new jobs for Commercial Pilot by 2026. There will be an estimated 4,000 positions for Commercial Pilot per year.
The states with the most job growth for Commercial Pilot are Tennessee, Utah, and Arizona. Watch out if you plan on working in Minnesota, Massachusetts, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Commercial Pilot Make?
The average yearly salary of a Commercial Pilot ranges between $44,660 and $160,480.
Commercial Pilots who work in South Carolina, Connecticut, or Massachusetts, make the highest salaries.
How much do Commercial Pilots make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools do Commercial Pilots Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Commercial Pilots may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Office
- SBS International Maestro Suite
- RMS Technology Flitesoft
- Electronic aircraft information databases
- MJICCS PilotLog
- Nimblefeet Technologies Captain’s Keeper
- Polaris Microsystems AeroLog Pro
- Polaris Microsystems CharterLog
- AirSmith FlightPrompt
- Skylog Services Skylog Pro
- doXstor Flight Level Logbook
- Notam Development Group Airport Insight
- Standard generalized markup language SGML
- Pilot Navigator Software Load Balance
- Flight simulation software
How to Become a Commercial Pilot
Individuals working as a Commercial Pilot have obtained the following education levels:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Commercial Pilots Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those thinking about becoming a Commercial Pilot might also be interested in the following careers:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|